St. Gregory’s PE Department Vision
‘To create an enjoyable and productive working environment for both staff and pupils, where, together we strive to actively engage to learn and improve and where participation and achievement is measured, monitored and celebrated’.
As a department, we aim to provide a challenging, disciplined and safe environment for high quality learning and teaching. Pupils should experience a balance of activities which has the necessary coherence and breadth to develop the Curriculum.
Progression should be evident as the pupil passes through key stage 1 to 2 with an extended choice of activities to ensure the pupil is offered a stimulating and relevant school choice in PE.
By the end of their physical education at St. Gregory’s the pupil should have developed a personal commitment to, and genuine passion for, maintaining their health and well-being into adult life.
Aims And Objectives Of The PE Department
- To encourage and motivate all students to develop their full potential through a range of purposeful, yet enjoyable activities within a challenging environment.
- To promote the acquisition and application of skills appropriate to each activity and to develop the ability to positively transfer skills across activities.
- To instill sound knowledge of personal and group safety when being physically active.
- To develop an understanding of the benefits of participation in physical activity now and in later life.
- To develop an appreciation of skilful and creative performances in a variety of sports activities.
- To promote the development of interpersonal skills (organisation, co-operation, initiative and responsibility) and to heighten self esteem, whilst encouraging tolerance of and respect for other groups and individuals.
- To encourage students to develop personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm and an appreciation of honest competition and good sportsmanship.
- To improve pupils’ ability to accurately evaluate their own and others’ performance in order to support progression.